About the Showcase
Since 2004, the Water Conservation Showcase has brought together experts, innovative products and services, and the sustainable development community to address one of the largest concerns of Californians: water. USGBC-NCC partners with Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) and East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) to bring together local and national experts to address water conservation topics including policies, rebates, business case studies, treatment innovations, storm-water management, low impact development, water supply history and future, and water reuse solutions.
Our goal is to provide a forum that brings together the full spectrum of stakeholders, decision makers, experts, and community members to explore and propel knowledge in water conservation. This exchange happens through expert presentations, a product expo, and community involvement. Partners and attendees include representatives from municipal water districts, diverse development sectors, research institutions, product manufacturers, non-profit and government representatives, professional associations, consulting and investment firms, and more.
Why water conservation?
Increasing costs, quality concerns, aging infrastructure, supply shortages, water and energy interrelationships, and rights conflicts are just a few of the factors that drive us to explore this timely and important topic. Water is one of the many limited natural resources heavily impacted by the built environment. By exploring, developing, and applying sustainable practices to our development and behavior, we lessen this impact in a way that speaks to the triple bottom line: people, profit, planet.
Water Conservation Resources
- Where Does Our Water Come From?: This map shows the service territory of most northern California water districts, and also indicates the location of the water source for each district.
- Food Facts: Do you ever wonder how much water is required to grow and prepare certain foods?
- 2013 California Water Plan Progress Brochure: Learn about California’s new water plan, being released in 2013.
- Wholly H2O: Water calculators, online resources, DVDs, videos and more.
- Water Footprint Calculator: Find out your water footprint.
- California's Water TV Series: This series hosted by Huell Howser deals with all the many aspects of water in our state - from reclaimed rivers to recycled water, from aqueducts and pipelines to recreation and fishing on the Delta, from agriculture to water friendly native plants.
- Urban Water Demand 2100 Model: A tool for forecasting urban water demand with climate change
- "Need to Know" Water Rates Series: Fact sheets on common water pricing problems
- CE2 Model: A tool to track the economic savings associated with water and energy conservation
- Tips for Saving Water: A helpful guide from East Bay Municipal Utility Company for conserving water at home.